27 Sep What are the pros and cons of a home security system?
The purpose of home security systems is to provide you with peace of mind, while notifying the authorities in the event of a break-in or other emergency in your home. Much like insurance, a home security system is something you buy and hope that you never have to use. So, are security systems worth it? Does it make sense to buy this type of “insurance”? Certainly, anyone who has been rescued from a robbery or fire because of a home security system would find it difficult to doubt the benefits of a home security system. On the flip side, some homeowners have a problem justifying the extra expense. Here are some pros and cons for installing a home security system.
- PRO: Police are immediately dispatched if someone breaks into your home. When your alarm is tripped, you will get a phone call from a security professional. If you don’t answer the phone, provide a security code, and tell them you’re okay — they will immediately send someone to your home.
- CON: Your local police department may charge you for “false alarms.” Any time they come out to your home to find no burglar there and no obvious signs of forced entry, it will be considered a false alarm. So basically, you could be fined if your security alarm was successful in scaring the intruder away.
- PRO: The alarm itself often frightens away burglars. Even if a thief happens to pop open a door or window and gain entry to your home, we believe that the deafening alarm squeal will scare them away before they have a chance to rifle through your valuables.
- CON: You can get a false sense of security. Not all burglars will be scared away by that alarm sound. There are professional criminals who know how to get in, grab what they want, and get out before the police ever arrive.
- PRO: You’re alerted whenever anyone enters and exits the home. This is especially good when you have small children in the home, because it helps to know whenever the doors in your home open or close.
- CON: You have to remember to set the alarm in order for it to work. We’re all human. It’s incredibly likely to fall asleep in the living room watching television and wake up in the middle of the night on the couch to not only find the alarm off, but also the garage door open. If you forget to set the alarm, it’s nothing more than a piece of electronic artwork on your wall.
If you need assistance in purchasing, installing, inspecting, or perfecting the security needs for your home or office, call the Horizon Alarms team at 800-467-1832 or send us a message and we’ll reach out to discuss all of your alarm needs.