31 Jan How to keep your business safe while relocating
Many new businesses will open their doors in a location that they’ll eventually grow out of. You may move some day to reach a new market, gain more space, or save costs — and it’s no secret that relocating can be a daunting task. With expensive inventory, sensitive documents, and essential equipment hard to keep track of once it’s all packed together, here’s how to secure your business before, during, and after a move.
Before The Move
Begin planning months in advance to reduce confusion on moving day.
- Create a company-wide moving committee. Bring people from all sides of the business together to ensure that no moving details are missed and every department is covered.
- Notify business partners or vendors. The post office, bank or credit union, and your security provider should all be aware of your new address months in advance.
- Do a thorough cleaning. This is the perfect time to clear your office of excess materials, though you should dispose of sensitive items with caution. Dumpster divers can intercept confidential information from documents and old computers. Shred all sensitive documents and dispose of old hard drives with the help of a professional service.
During The Move
When moving day arrives, you should be prepared for a smooth transition to the new business space.
- Focus eyes on the moving process. Employees should be trained to watch for suspicious activity amongst the movers. Keep video surveillance functioning until the last possible moment, so all moving activity is recorded.
- Trust a professional with migrating your security system. Contact a company like Horizon Alarms to have them professionally uninstall old security equipment and migrate your system to the new location.
- Have a secure “drop-off point” at the new building. Have movers bring all inventory through a common entrance at your new location, ideally monitored with cameras and security personnel. If items turn up missing, you’ll know if they ever arrived at your new location.
After The Move
Once you’ve successfully relocated, a few actions should be taken right away.
- Do a comprehensive walk-through. Enlist the help of your security provider to conduct an audit that reassesses physical and network security needs.
- Remind employees of security protocols. After the excitement of the move, retrain employees on your company’s standards for security, touching on any aspects that may be different with a new location.
- Inform the public. While you may find it beneficial to tell some customers prior to the move, it’s best to wait until immediately after relocating to tell the general public about your new location. This way, criminals have no chance to scope out the empty building you’ll soon inhabit.
Moving is stressful for everyone, but by thinking ahead and keeping safety a top priority, you’ll relocate successfully and securely. If you need assistance in purchasing, installing, inspecting, or perfecting the security needs for your home or office, call the Horizon Alarms team at 800-467-1832 or send us a message and we’ll reach out to discuss all of your alarm needs.